The Ultimate Fibromyalgia Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Mother has FM but also a Prescription Medication problem

Go down

My Mother has FM but also a Prescription Medication problem Empty My Mother has FM but also a Prescription Medication problem

Post  interested Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Hence my decision to join a forum related to FM. There has been much frustration and confusion as to the on-going legitimacy of her illness, especially since the medication and quantity she's on, has impacted her in such a way that the line between her illness and drug dependancy are now blurred. My family and I feel we are in a no-win situation. Our areas of concern are as follows: On diagnosis of her illness she quit her job and took to her bed - that was 10 years ago. She does no exercise and has often alluded to being "cured" within a specified period of time, which never arrives, and our understanding is that there is no cure for FM anyway. I don't know her exact quantity of medication but I know that she gets repeat scripts 2-3 times a week and that on taking her medication (which is 2-3 times a day) she is noticeably "high". We understand that a person with FM suffers pain and sleep disturbance and my mother claims both these symptoms which is what her medication is for. We don't understand however, why it is possible for Mum to sleep during the day, yet not at night? Or how it is possible for Mum to shop for hours on end, yet not walk 200 metres to the chemist or bakery? My father does everything for her and if he falls ill, then my sister gets called upon (I don't live in the same country so this doesn't effect me personally). We feel that Mum has no real interest in "getting better" or more accurately, managing her illness. It is very difficult for us to broach the drug problem because she maintains the illness requires her to take the medication, but we feel we need to as the long-term impact is dire. If anyone has any comment to make, please do so. I understand there may be some criticism of what I've written but ultimately I'm here to act in the best interests of Mum, whatever they may be.
I also want to ask - does anyone get "Body Mapping" done? Mum has done this over several years and her "maps" show the FM to be almost nil yet she appears to be getting worse.

Last edited by interested on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to add some info...)
interested
interested

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-10-26

Back to top Go down